Arrival and Departure
- Check in from 15:00 on arrival date.
- Key collection at arrival is not required – your accommodation and/or venue facilities will be open for access.
- Check out by 10:00 on departure date – please close all doors and windows before departing.
- Rusty Gate is a self-catering venue for all guests. Please bring your own food, beverages and ice.
- There are catering service providers in the community. Please enquire if you are interested, and we will arrange introductions.
Eagle’s Eyrie Exclusivity
- Eagle’s Eyrie, including all the upper terrace facilities, is booked separately from any cottages.
- When you are staying at Rusty Gate cottages and your reservation does not include Eagle’s Eyrie and its facilities, the use of the upper terrace facilities (including entertainment areas, Chit-Chat Lounge, kitchen and splash pool) is not allowed.
- Cleaning services (including dish washing, sweeping and waste removal) is available for the Cottages and Eagle’s Eyrie during your stay at Rusty Gate.
- Rates applicable are R100.00 for a ½-day rate, or full day rate of R200.00 per cleaner.
- Please pre-book a cleaner prior to your arrival date and pay the cleaner/s cash on the day.
- Borehole water is used at Rusty Gate for domestic purposes and is safe and clean for human consumption.
- South Africa is a water scarce country, please always use water sparingly.
Sleeping for Extra Guests and Toddlers
- A sleeper couch in each cottage (two in Sunbird Cottage) can be prepared to sleep an extra adult or two children per couch. Please request when making reservations.
- Please provide your own sleeping cot if required for a baby or toddler.
- We use septic tanks at Rusty Gate for processing of all sewerage and grey water. These systems are sensitive to unwanted chemicals or foreign objects that can cause blockages.
- Please do not flush any foreign objects, e.g. sanitary pads and cigarette buts, down the toilets.
- We use single ply toilet paper to limit solid materials entering the septic tanks. Please limit use of toilet paper to only that which is required.
- Please do not use exotic soap, shampoo or cleaning materials. Commercially available hygienic products and cleaning materials provided is allowed for use with septic tanks.
- Costly cleaning of blockages in sewerage systems will be charged to guests if found to be as a result of foreign objects and/or solid materials.
Wood for Braai and Fireplaces
- All the cottages and Eagle’s Eyrie are stocked with wood and firelighters for braai facilities and fireplaces prior to your arrival.
- Should you require additional wood, it can be provided at R25.00 per crate and is immediately payable (SnapScan© available on site for easy payment).
Keeping it Peaceful and Quiet
- Rusty Gate is a serene and quiet place to connect with nature and for everyone’s enjoyment. We request all visitors to respect other guests in this regard.
- No loud music allowed, unless you have booked out the entire venue for exclusive use and a specific occasion.
- No motorbikes, quad bikes or generators are allowed.
Wildlife and Pets
- Most of the Rusty Gate property includes untouched nature with indigenous flora, and there are no fences between the farm and the Riviersonderend Nature Reserve.
- Please respect nature and the local fauna and flora during your stay.
- There is an abundance and variety of birdlife on the farm – perfect for the birding enthusiast.
- Various wild fauna, including (but not limited to) snakes, chacma baboons, game and predators roam freely on the property.
- Ensure doors and windows at the cottages and Eagle’s Eyrie are closed when you are out and about to prevent unwanted access into buildings.
- Stay on gravel roads, walkways and indicated hiking trails as far as possible. Going off the beaten track may increase the risk of encountering and surprising snakes such as Cape Cobras and Puffadders, or baboons roaming the area.
- Unfortunately no pets allowed for the safety of all.
TV’s and Related Entertainment
- We offer “bush TV with surround sound” which is freely available with a fire in your braai or the Eyrie’s firepit and the sounds of nature all around you.
- There are no TV’s or related entertainment services (e.g. DSTV, Netflix) available at the Cottages or Eagle’s Eyrie.
Communal Recreational Facilities
- The recreational dam to the north east of Eagle’s Eyrie and the cottages includes a jetty and grass embankments for lazy relaxation, canoes for paddling on the dam, and a zip line (“foefie slide”) for young at heart.
- Rusty Gate can be explored by all guests on foot or mountain bike via dirt roads, tracks and hiking trails on the farm.
- The waterfall on the farm is accessible to all Rusty Gate guests.
- Veld fires are a reality at Rusty Gate due to abundant natural fauna and prevailing wind in mountainous areas – especially during the hot and dry summer months.
- Don’t leave any fires unattended and extinguish any open fires before going to bed or leaving your cottage or entertainment areas.
- Don’t flick burning cigarette butts into the veld or on lawns – please use appropriate means to extinguish and dispose of cigarette butts.
- Please report any unknown fires, or suspected fires at or around Rusty Gate to one of our personnel immediately.
No Smoking Areas
- All areas inside buildings at Rusty Gate, including the cottages and the Chit-Chat Lounge, Peacock Place, Swallows’ Nest and the kitchen area at Eagle’s Eyrie, are designated no smoking areas.
- Smoking is allowed outside, and please discard cigarette butts in available ash-trays or dispensers.
Cellphone reception and Internet Access
- Cell phone reception and 3G data access is available at Eagle’s Eyrie and high lying areas of the property.
- Wi-Fi is available for guest Internet access at Eagle’s Eyrie. Please enquire on arrival for password.